Freemasons now have their own club for classic car enthusiasts, as John Cole explains
Motoring in style|
Bob Green, a butcher from Nottingham, arriving in
his 1970 Morris 1000 Panda car,
waved in by Denis
Phipps, Provincial Grand Master of Surrey.
The inaugural Masonic Classic Car Run was held in the summer
of 2002, and proved to be so popular that it was decided
to hold the event on an annual basis. After its first two years
the event has raised nearly £50,000 for charity.
This year’s Run was held on Sunday, 6 June with 145 vehicles
taking part from 31 Provinces, with total pledges of
£35,734. The total raised this year is to be split between the
When You Wish Upon A Star charity, which sends terminally-ill
children to Lapland to meet Father Christmas, and each
entrant’s Provincial Grand Charity.
Following last year’s Run, a number of entrants suggested
the formation of a Masonic Classic Vehicle Club – to
encompass motorcycles and commercial and military
vehicles, as well as classic cars – and entrants in all three
Runs – some 300 brethren – have been invited to become
members of the new club.
Sir Neil Thorne, Provincial Grand Master for Essex, is
chairman and Philip Toler, Past Deputy Provincial Grand
Master for Surrey, and owner of a 1903 Cadillac, is president.
Clive Hennessy and John Cole are treasurer and secretary
respectively and Peter Lusty is membership secretary.
The inaugural committee meeting of the club was held
on Friday 2 April at Freemasons’ Hall, Great Queen Street,
London. Main discussion item was the initial contact, via
UGLE, of the Grande Loge Nationale Française to identify
a suitable location in the Champagne region for a Masonic
Classic Vehicle Club fraternal visit, including members’ classic
vehicles, this September.